Old October 13th 05, 08:32 AM
DD (Rox)

In article dYm3f.1421$UF4.1052@fed1read02, "Mark=B2" mjmorgan(lowest=20
even number says...

Well, here's something for you to chew on: on Friday last week I
popped into one of the local photographic shops and I was fiddling
around with the 5D, chatting to the manager. I asked him how much
interest he had in the camera and he said that he had taken about 10
orders for it, but amazingly all of them were from people who were
not regular photographers. They were mostly rich folks who had bought
the camera (with one of the crappy kit lenses) because it was the
newest thing and they had to had it.

=20
There will always be people like that.
I've seen people hauling around Leicas for the same reason: They think t=

hey=20
look cool holding one. I'm sure that happens with all sorts of=20
things...cars...motorcycles...guns...and cameras. Meanwhile, those who=

=20
actually know how to use a camera are using them well, regardless of how=

=20
many dorks with money there might be--posing in their mirrors holding the=

ir=20
new toy.

Yep, too much disposable income. I once had a chat to a guy I saw=20
brandishing an F5 with a crappy Sigma lens on it. I wanted to know what=20
he thought of the camera and he prattled on about how it took the best=20
photos he ever saw. Sounds like another guy we know who owns an EOS1v.=20

The other side of the business coin you describe above is this:
Canon makes most of their money from the sale of lenses.

I disagree. Most of their money comes from selling office equipment
and supplies. On the imaging side the bulk of the revenue that funds
their operation is made from P&S digital cameras.

=20
Since this is a discussion about photography equipment, I thought it woul=

d=20
go without saying that I was referring to SLR photo equitpment $$ coming=

=20
from sale of lenses, as opposed to bodies.
=20
-Though actually, I suspect that with the huge successes of digital bodie=

s,=20
that may be swinging a bit.
I don't know.=20

The big money spinner for any manufacturer is the mass market. Give them=20
what they want and use the profits to fund development in other areas=20
where technology is more cutting edge. Same thing happens in the motor=20
industry with Formula One and Rally Championships.=20

--=20
DD (everything is temporary)
www.dallasdahms.com