Old October 13th 05, 08:25 AM
DD (Rox)

In article .com,
says...
Dear experts,

I've always used Nikon, and have a number of FE and FM
cameras, and whole bunch of fixed focal length lenses.

I took my equipment to the store the other day, and
noticed a few issues.

The focusing screen in that D70 was just a matte/Fresnel.
There was no split in the middle where you can focus
by lining up two lines together. And it's hard to tell
in the small viewfinder if the picture is in focus.

The modern Nikon cameras use an electronic rangefinder device of some
sorts to indicate when you are in focus. A little green dot in the
viewfinder lights up when the lens has achieved focus and arrows either
side of it tell the user which way to turn the focussing ring to achieve
focus.

The other thing I noticed is that the viewfinder screen
is smaller. I'm older now, and it seems I need my glasses
to focus through there. And, in the catalog, there is
no diopter (?) correction for the D70. They have some
for other Nikons, but not the D70.

Definitely has that feature.

So, this brings up the question, if there is any
real advantage to buying a Nikon digital so that I can
use my old fixed manual focus sharp lenses, if I can't
focus them.

You won't be able to use the cameras metering with a non-CPU lens. You
would have to meter using a handheld or accessory shoe meter.

I could buy used Nikon autofocus lenses if I bought
the Nikon. But then I could just buy used Canon
lenses too if I bought a Canon.

Ooohh! OOOOOHHHHHHH!

Don't go there! Canon is an EVIL company that makes evil products. If
you buy one you will surely be on the fast track to hell.

I understand that Canon has brought out a newer
camera lately. Does anyone know how it compares
on these issues? Does it have a diopter? Does it
have different screens?

How does the Canon compare in any other area that
you think is significant? Advantages? Disadvantages?

Canon cameras change so often that should anything go wrong with your
current model in a couple of years time, the chances of getting spares
to do feasible repairs is unlikely. In my opinion unless you are buying
at the top end of the Canon offering you are playing a hit and miss
game.

--
DD (everything is temporary)
www.dallasdahms.com