Old March 21st 12, 01:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rich[_6_]

Default Why the 800E is more important than ever

Me wrote in :

On 21/03/2012 6:18 a.m., David J Taylor wrote:
"RichA" wrote in message

On Mar 20, 11:26 am, "David J Taylor" david-
wrote:
"RichA" wrote in message

om...

Because the FF stuff inherently lacks sharpness compared to some
APS stuff. It may, MAY have high resolving power, but that isn't
the same. Esthetically, sharpness "looks" better. So, if the 800E
can provide a sharper looking image, then it makes even more
sense to
have
it.

So are you really saying that the lenses aren't up to 36 MP?

David

No, but what I started noticing some time ago (between my Pentax
K10D and K20D 10-16mp jump) was that initially at least the images
out of the K20D did not look as sharp. Same thing with some Olympus
gear I owned. Resolution is there, but sharpness needs a bit of
work.

If you're viewing at 100% zoom (pixel peeping) that's about what is
expected. Supposing you resample the 10 MP and 16 MP images to your
native display resolution. Can you see any difference then? Supposing
you print both at the same physical size - any difference then?

You're wasting your time explaining - it's been explained to him
dozens of times before. Even if could understand that, he drinks
absinthe at breakfast time, and has strange mushrooms for lunch.

Perhaps if he looks at the watch in the raw samples from DP Review
(which aren't actually raw samples, they're jpegs - converted from raw
with ACR), then looks at the bottom of the watch, there are some
characters at the bottom.
Compare D800, 5d, and 645d, and see which one can be read most
clearly.

You must be mentioning absinthe as a highly alcoholic drink as it's
mythical hallucinagenic properties were disproved in 1999.