Old March 22nd 04, 10:46 PM
Dan Quinn

Default Rodinal

"Alparslan" wrote

Hi,
then, are suggesting 10 ml. is not the minimum limit per roll of 35
mm. film no matter how much solution there is? Just trying to clarify.
I am bit confused as there are different claims about the minimum
amount. Meanwhile I will use 10 ml. minimum to be on the safe
side. Regards.

I don't care how long a 500ml bottle of Rodinal will last. If I had
that much and used it that little I'd put it into 4, 125ml brown Boston
Rounds equipped with Polycone or Polyseal caps.
No one has mentioned the film to be processed. I've not run tests but
my understanding is that high speed films require more chemistry than
slow speed films.
An aside: FX-1 results have been reported to be very nearly the
same as Rodinal's. I think both can be considered high ph, very active,
compensating developers and the more compensating the higher the
dilution.
I'm with you on the amount of chemistry although 10ml may be more
than enough for most occasions. I'd steer clear of the give or take
a .1 or .2 ml. for the purpose of contrast control. After all the
amount of silver to be reduced will vary from roll to roll.
Likely the best approach is to vary the dilution. Using an oversize
tank has been suggested and one I've adopted when using FX-1. Dan