Old October 10th 18, 03:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

Default Windows 10 update wipes out files and photos

On 10/9/2018 10:38 PM, Ron C wrote:
On 10/9/2018 9:32 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 10/9/2018 2:41 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Carlos E.R.
wrote:

Whether or not this is an issue depends on what users do with their
computers. If they're playing around with beta releases, as in the
Insider Development program, it's not a good idea to use a computer
with critical files on it. As for the rest who use Win10, the
update has not been distributed, so it's a non-issue.

wrong. 1809 was released last week to the public then later pulled on
friday after people lost data. it was not an insider build.

It was not "distributed".* It was available for "optional" download
only.

I got it automatically on a laptop of mine.

yep. same here (although not a laptop).

I did not get the update on my Win10 machine. Possible that had
something to do with the fact that I have automatic updates turned off.

IMHO the larger problem is that Win 10 updates *CAN* delete files.
Also Win 10, by design, forces updates.
The level of trust has been greatly compromised.
Who really knows what files/folders/etc could be the target
of some code "oops", let alone an actual targeted attack?

i do try to regularly back up.
My Win 7 machine has not such issues.

--
PeterN