Old February 2nd 04, 10:05 PM

Default flying, film and X-rays

MC wrote:

"nobody" wrote in message
Craig wrote:
Angeles and will be bringing a fair amount of film (35mm, 25 rolls with

ASA
range from 64 to 400 all of it slide film and about 50 rolls of APS

print
film with an ASA range of 100 to 800).

When you request hand inspection, make sure you specify you have a number

of
rolls that are 400 and above.

It is best to arrive at the inspection point with all rolls out of the

boxes
and canisters in a ziplok bag. Make it easy for them to do a very fast

hand inspection.

For those cases where they refuse, you cfan then take the ziplok and put

in it
a lead bag and allow it through the x-ray. (Some say that they will just
increase the power to see through it, but I am not sure if this is true or
just urban myth).

It will also help to mention that you are taking a large number flights

and
that while just one x-ray exposure may be ok, in your case, you need to

reduce
the cumulative effects.

Mentioning that you have to take or have already taken a number of flights
is no good. We just got "So what" looks on our last trip RTW (I think it
was 14 x-ray machines in total) and all staff said there was "no problem"
unless you were using ultra fast film of at least 800 asa. I did insist on
a hand search at Honolulu though and they did indeed hand search my films
but I only had about 6 left by this time (x-ray machine no.13 I believe).
Anyway, not one of our films was damaged. Half were 400asa the rest
200/100asa. Also, I suggest that you get the films processed as you use
them.

MC

Why not go here and ask them?

http://www.tsa.gov/public/contactus