Old November 19th 12, 07:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
the Legend of LAX

Default Camera JPEG engines

On 11/18/2012 3:33 PM, Alfred Molon wrote:
I'd be curious about your opinion/experience with the JPEG output of
today's cameras. Do you only shoot RAW and postprocess everything, or
RAW+JPEG and only postprocess selectively, or do you only shoot JPEG?

My personal experience is that the JPEG output of modern cameras is not
bad, sometimes surprisingly good, and -if the camera is set up properly-
only a certain percentage of images need RAW processing.

I started shooting RAW+JPEG because a magazine I submit to required RAW.
I shoot the jpeg at a reduced size to use as a quick reference & so I
can see a thumbnail of a picture in Windows since I don't know how to
make Windows display a thumbnail of a RAW image. I am using a Canon 7D.

I use Capture One to process the RAWs. It does a better job than I can
get with a jpeg, & it doesn't take a lot of time.

--
Dale G Elhardt AG6MA
Cypress Ca