Old November 19th 12, 02:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Camera JPEG engines

On 2012-11-18 15:33:44 -0800, Alfred Molon said:

I'd be curious about your opinion/experience with the JPEG output of
today's cameras. Do you only shoot RAW and postprocess everything, or
RAW+JPEG and only postprocess selectively, or do you only shoot JPEG?

My personal experience is that the JPEG output of modern cameras is not
bad, sometimes surprisingly good, and -if the camera is set up properly-
only a certain percentage of images need RAW processing.

I usually shoot RAW only, and I guess that is in part due to some
control issues on my part. I just prefer the leeway I have with a RAW
files in post processing.

When I have had cameras which only offered JPEG I was always surprised
by the quality of the results using the available camera settings.

I shoot RAW+JPEG with my D300S when there are other folks involved, so
I can provide immediate images for some friends and family. That is
usually at some event such as the looming Thanksgiving Day holiday.

With my G11 there is no RAW only mode, so it is RAW+JPEG with that when
using AV, EV, P, or M modes. If any of the program modes are selected
the only option is JPEG. I have toyed with those from time to time and
have again been surprised at the more than acceptable results.

There have been times when I am just shooting snapshots with my G11
and/or my iPhone, and so shot JPEG only and I have been quite happy
with the results. However I remain anal enough to shoot RAW only 99% of
the time so I can entertain myself playing with post processing.

Savageduck