Old October 17th 12, 01:42 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

Default Photowalk

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 12:54:30 -0400, Bowser wrote:
: On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 22:44:34 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:
:
: On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 20:11:10 -0400, Bowser wrote:
: : On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 15:15:22 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:
: :
: : On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 14:22:44 -0400, Bowser wrote:
: : : Well, the photowalk was worth it. The weather cooperated and the light
: : : was pretty nice. There were 45 of us in Marblehead, MA (USA) who
: : : prowled around the town getting strange looks from lots of "normal"
: : : people. 45 camera geeks are hard to ignore. What sort of surprised me
: : : was the conversation. There were all manner of gear on display from
: : : P&S to heavy iron, but I didn't hear a single conversation about gear.
: : : It was all about locations, light, and non-photo stuff. At the
: : : Hurricane bar and grill we talked about almost nothing related to
: : : gear, aside from the usual curiosity questions. If you missed it this
: : : year, sign up next year. It's a good take.
: : :
: : : And yes, I did send three shots in to the SI Dictator/Committee that
: : : were taken yesterday. I traveled light and took only the GX1 and three
: : : lenses: the 14-140, 7-14, and 8mm fisheye. That kit worked really
: : : well.
: :
: : I'm glad to hear it! In the end, alas, I didn't go. (An opportunity missed,
: : since the weather couldn't have been better.) The conflicting activity that
: : was going to keep me away got postponed, but I was so exhausted after an
: : unusually grueling week that I couldn't face getting up early and going back
: : into town on Saturday.
: :
: : Also, I started to wonder about wandering through downtown in a crowd. Most of
: : the good results I've had in urban environments have come from being able to
: : poke around alone at my own pace, with no one else to speed me up or slow me
: : down. In fact, one thought I had was, "Maybe I should have gone out to
: : Marblehead with that group that Bowser chose!" But with 45 participants
: : already, you surely didn't need any more.
: :
: : There was room. Definitely a worthwhile thing, but here's the deal: we
: : dont' need to wait a year. If you ever want to do a walk around
: : anyplace in eastern MA, let me know and I'm game.
: :
: : And yes, face to face beats the living hell out of this method of
: : conversing.
:
: Works for me. Do you ever get down to Cambridge? There are some fairly scenic
: walks the Fresh Pond, Mount Auburn Cemetery, Harvard Square, North Point
: Park (possibly the only ground-level location from which to photograph the
: Zakim Bridge), etc. Cambridge has an extra benefit for me, since any picture I
: take in the city can potentially be used on our Web site. ;^)
:
: North Point is particularly nice when the foliage is at peak, and supposedly
: so is Mt Auburn, although I haven't been there this time of year.
:
: Let me know if you want to try to work something out. My email address is
: real, and my work address (also real) is . (I've unearthed
: a couple of email addresses for you, but I don't know that either is current.)
:
: Bob
:
: Email on the way...

Today Bowser and I have tentatively set up an ad hoc photo walk in Cambridge
for October 27 (rain date: October 28). Does anyone else within commuting
distance want to join us? (I've already written to one newsgroup participant
who I think lives in the Boston area.) If so, please contact me at
.

Bob