Old October 16th 12, 03:44 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

Default Photowalk

On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 20:11:10 -0400, Bowser wrote:
: On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 15:15:22 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:
:
: On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 14:22:44 -0400, Bowser wrote:
: : Well, the photowalk was worth it. The weather cooperated and the light
: : was pretty nice. There were 45 of us in Marblehead, MA (USA) who
: : prowled around the town getting strange looks from lots of "normal"
: : people. 45 camera geeks are hard to ignore. What sort of surprised me
: : was the conversation. There were all manner of gear on display from
: : P&S to heavy iron, but I didn't hear a single conversation about gear.
: : It was all about locations, light, and non-photo stuff. At the
: : Hurricane bar and grill we talked about almost nothing related to
: : gear, aside from the usual curiosity questions. If you missed it this
: : year, sign up next year. It's a good take.
: :
: : And yes, I did send three shots in to the SI Dictator/Committee that
: : were taken yesterday. I traveled light and took only the GX1 and three
: : lenses: the 14-140, 7-14, and 8mm fisheye. That kit worked really
: : well.
:
: I'm glad to hear it! In the end, alas, I didn't go. (An opportunity missed,
: since the weather couldn't have been better.) The conflicting activity that
: was going to keep me away got postponed, but I was so exhausted after an
: unusually grueling week that I couldn't face getting up early and going back
: into town on Saturday.
:
: Also, I started to wonder about wandering through downtown in a crowd. Most of
: the good results I've had in urban environments have come from being able to
: poke around alone at my own pace, with no one else to speed me up or slow me
: down. In fact, one thought I had was, "Maybe I should have gone out to
: Marblehead with that group that Bowser chose!" But with 45 participants
: already, you surely didn't need any more.
:
: There was room. Definitely a worthwhile thing, but here's the deal: we
: dont' need to wait a year. If you ever want to do a walk around
: anyplace in eastern MA, let me know and I'm game.
:
: And yes, face to face beats the living hell out of this method of
: conversing.

Works for me. Do you ever get down to Cambridge? There are some fairly scenic
walks the Fresh Pond, Mount Auburn Cemetery, Harvard Square, North Point
Park (possibly the only ground-level location from which to photograph the
Zakim Bridge), etc. Cambridge has an extra benefit for me, since any picture I
take in the city can potentially be used on our Web site. ;^)

North Point is particularly nice when the foliage is at peak, and supposedly
so is Mt Auburn, although I haven't been there this time of year.

Let me know if you want to try to work something out. My email address is
real, and my work address (also real) is . (I've unearthed
a couple of email addresses for you, but I don't know that either is current.)

Bob