Old August 8th 07, 09:29 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr,rec.photo.technique.nature
Wayne J. Cosshall

Default Circular Polarizers, A Filter You Need

Both polarizers work the same way, just the circular has a second layer
to depolarize the resulting light. The polarizing part does the same
thing, so there should be no difference, all other things being equal.
However there are different materials used and so they can vary
significantly between brands and even within brands if the manufacturer
has changed process.

Some cameras will be more sensitive to linear polarization than others,
but if you were buying now it is probably not worth the risk and just
get a circular one.

Cheers,

Wayne

Wayne J. Cosshall
Publisher, Experimental Digital Photography
http://www.experimentaldigitalphotography.com
Personal art site http://www.cosshall.com/

Fat Sam wrote:
Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
Hi All,

I've written the first of a series of articles on the use of real
camera filters with digital photography. The first is on the circular
polarizer filter:
http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=1063

Cheers,

Wayne

I have a circular and a linear polariser. I was told that I would be better
to use the circular polariser on my digital camera, as it would give better
results.
But I've used both the linear and the circular polarisers on my digital and
I honestly can't see any difference in the results when I compare the two.