Old October 22nd 03, 04:31 AM
Phil Stripling

Default Share beauties of Canadian Rockies

Carole writes:

Just wondering....I just added a photo section to my website. I put a
"no right click" javascript on all the photo pages with a friendly kind
of message that says it you would like a copy to contact me Is that
enough to stop people from stealing my photos? I know about Digimarc,
but I'm not working at present, so $$ are rather tight.

Post the URL of your site, and I'll post copies I've made of the photos. I
am sorry to say that I have a one-button mouse, so right click and wrong
click don't work for me. And yes, Digimarc is very expensive -- not aimed
at good amateurs or solo pros.

What does everyone else do to protect their work, but also get it out
there for people to see?

The sad fact is that if it is on the Web it can't _really_ be protected. I
include a copyright notice in each photo, but my stuff is still stolen and
used on other sites. Use low resolution photos, put a copyright notice in
each photo, and provide a link somewhere on your photo pages to a page on
your site where people can easily get information on how to license the use
of your photos. Low res photos will prevent people from making quality
prints, but my experience is that people want photos for their Web sites,
so they don't care too much about quality. Note that this is my experience
with my travel site; I'm not a pro and don't have professional quality
images on the Web.