Old October 18th 04, 12:53 AM
Stacey

Bob Monaghan wrote:

The sad part here is that the very vast majority of digital images being
made by regular people will be lost, not in a century, but at the next
hard drive failure or virus attack (63%..), most "archived" CDROM images
will deteriorate from chemical "bit-rot" in the next decade or so etc.

I don't even work in the computer industry but have witnessed this first
hand at least a dozen times. People store their digital images on the same
partition as their windows install! They pop in the restore disk that came
with their computer and are shocked all their childen's pictures are gone.
And of course they never printed any of them so they are GONE.

Of course with enough diligence this can be avoided but how many people are
going to take on the active -fight- of keeping all their images safe? I'd
bet less than 5% of digital camera users will.
--

Stacey