Old July 26th 04, 10:44 PM
Ol' Bab

Default high optical vs. large megapixel ?

Andy wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, but am i right in thinking that a camera with a 3 X
Optical Zoom having 5MPixels, is about the same as a camera having a 6 X
Optical Zoom with 2.5MPixels (i know you don't often get 2.5MP, but just
theoretically).

By 6x zoom, I'm betting you mean "a lens with twice the
maximum focal length"

No, the number you'd get is 1.25 Mp -ie, one quarter. The
resolution IS doubled but the pixel count is SQUARED.

This assumes your targets of choice are songbirds at a feeder
across the parking lot, and you can't get closer, so whatever
camera you use, the results must be cropped.

So if you just can't move closer, a LONG telephoto (say 4x
longer) will save a thunder of money: make your 5 Mp act like
an 80 Mp !! Of course now you need a tripod, and the flash is
hopeless.

Trade-offs, trade-offs.

Ol' Bab