Old April 17th 20, 10:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

Default Photographer cited, had drone confiscated for documenting HartIsland mass burials with his drone

On 4/17/2020 2:51 PM, Alfred Molon wrote:
Here is an article on the matter:
https://www.dpreview.com/news/069755...grapher-cited-
drone-documenting-hart-island-mass-burials-with-his-drone

I bought an inexpensive drone last year, to give a try to drone
photography. Until now I haven't been able to take interesting
shots with it. For a reason or another in most places it's
forbidden to use drones.
"He was cited for violating NYC Administrative Code § 10–126, which

prohibits the takeoff and landing of drones within New York City (NYC)."

Steinmetz wrote in response:
"‘I’m not trying to be an advocate, but my encounter with the NYPD [on
Tuesday] was not about any safety or privacy considerations that I
assume the law was designed for."

1) Perhaps Steinmetz doesn't realize that this response serves no other
purpose than advocacy (free press, open distribution of information,
etc.). Or he's lying.

2) Laws regarding drones are not arbitrary and open to user definitions.
He violated the law, and lost his drone. Boo Hoo. Ironically, had he
been able to fly his paraglider over the scene to take the shots, he
probably would not have been cited at all, providing that he didn't
violate other airspace restrictions.

I am really tired of folks that think they can do whatever they want
with their drones.

--
best regards,

Neil