Old November 6th 15, 10:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default How to measure ISO

On Fri, 6 Nov 2015 07:57:19 -0500, Alan Browne

On 2015-11-05 22:23, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 18:52:56 -0500, Alan Browne

On 2015-11-05 18:33, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 16:57:34 -0500, Alan Browne

On 2015-11-05 02:42, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Wed, 04 Nov 2015 22:59:42 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

That said, I'd rather underexpose by half a stop
than overexpose by a stop.

Well, there is a general recommendation to expose to the right, to
minimise noise (also taking into account that cameras nowadays tolerate
some overexposure).

As a general rule, I would also expose to the left. The D750 gives me
little trouble with noise and I tend to have more trouble with burned
out highs than I do with loss of detail in the shadows.

ideally, it's best to expose to the right without clipping any
highlights.

Why?

What do you do if, as I said, your problem *is* clipping highlights?

He's generally right as one treats digital like slide film ("expose for
the highlights"). I shoot 2.3 - 2.5 stops down from HL for my a900.
For the 7D, 1.7.. 2 stops down. (using spot metering in both).

That said, sometimes clipped HL are necessary to get the subject nicely
and exposed.

My recent problems have been due either to bright clouds or inside
lighting in buildings. Also stained glass windows viewed from the
inside of of buildings.

Scene DR is too high to get it all in both cases. Digital is better
than slide film, but the difference from mid tone to highlight remains
relatively slim. On the plus side you have much more range from mid
tone to shadow with digital v. slide.

For things like stained glass inside buildings I'd suggest a tripod and
HDR methods. 3 images is probably enough in most cases. Same for
outdoor if the subject permits.

See https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...03/LR---19.jpg

St Peters in the 'old town' of Geneva. Hand held D300. 1/50 sec at
f/6.3. Processed with LR.

Looks crappy. You want a smooth glow to the walls. Shoot for the wall,
shoot for the glass. Two separate exposures (absent fill light).

That looks about the way I remember it. I cited it as an example of
the ability of -1/2 EV to cope with highlights (in this case the sun
coming through the glass).

As far as the stonework is concerned (and another kind of highlight)
see https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...3/LR--6366.jpg
Once again a D300 shot. Hand held 1/13 at f/6.3. Same church, same
day.

Example: if the light outside hitting the glass is raw sunlight, then
you would expose for sunny-16. There is no way the interior walls are
anywhere close to sunny-16.

Eric Stevens