Old November 6th 15, 08:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default How to measure ISO

On 2015-11-06 18:59:47 +0000, PeterN said:

On 11/5/2015 6:52 PM, Alan Browne wrote:

snip

For things like stained glass inside buildings I'd suggest a tripod and
HDR methods. 3 images is probably enough in most cases. Same for
outdoor if the subject permits.

That depends on your camera. IIRC for the best HDR each exposure should
be two stops apart. While some Canons will do that auto bracketing, my
Nikon will only bracket one stop. Therefore, five exposures are
required, unless I do a manual exposure compensation.

When shooting exposure brackets for HDR anywhere from 3 to 9 bracket
shots with 1 stop intervals will work for most Nikon DSLRs. What has to
be taken into account is the scene & subject matter, and the camera
being used, as the buffer can play role in mking that cpture
succesful, particulrly if you are working hand held. Using a tripod and
manually adjusting for each frame is something else altogether.
With my D300S a 5 or 7 - 1 stop - shot bracket works best for NIK HDR
Efex processing. My X-E2 only gives me 3 shot brackets up to 1EV.
However, Fujifilm has a few DR stretching tricks in their firmware,
those I have yet to become fully familiar with.

Then there is what Lightroom gives you for photo Merge to HDR. With LR
and RAW/DNG you can work an HDR without the intermediate shots. If you
have a 5 shot exposure bracket you can take your +2EV and your -2EV and
merge those to HDR which will return a DNG with a dynamic exposure
range of -10 to +10 rather than the standard -5 to +5.

Then using LR you have another option. You can forego capturing the
exposure bracket altogether and gain that same HDR exposure adjustment
range much better than with any of the single exposure pseudo-HDR
methods found in NIK or Photomatix.
Take your original imported RAW/DNG create a "Virtual Copy"(VC).
With either the VC or the original in the LR Develop module, move the
Exposure slider to +2, or +3.
Then with the other VC/original, move the Exposure slider to -2, or -3.
Select both of these and right-click - Photo Merge - HDR. Your result
is a DNG with all the benefits of an HDR without the nastiness of
overcooked glowing HDRs.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_380.jpg

This also gives me a way to stretch my 3 shot 1EV Fuji X-E2 brackets,
by adjusting the -1EV shot to -3, and the +1EV to +3, then Merging all
three. That also works very well.

Savageduck