Old June 27th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default Using Polarizing Filter With Skylight Filter

William Graham wrote:
"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...
Jimbo wrote:
Scott W wrote:
Some of us have to also worry about salt spray.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/62581512

At times the air is so full of salt spray that it only takes an instant
to give the lens a nice coating of salt.

Scott

Ahhhh - really - so you live near the beach - lucky dog! Are these salt
sprays a result of crashing waves and the breeze? I assume that there
is the added worry of sand in those breezes?

Very little sand seems to get in the air even at the beachs, we just
don't get the very strong winds that are needed to kick up the sand
very often.

But yes the salt gets in the air from crashing waves, and pretty much
the waves are always crashing to some extent and there is pretty much
always some salt in the air.

At night you can see the spray drifting across the road when it is lit
up by headlights.

Scott

Yes....And it gets in the underbody of your automobiles, and, in fact, into
every piece of equipment you own, from lawnmowers to Leicas........

Yup, everything rusts here.

Of course we also have the volcano putting out 1,000 tons of sulfur
dioxide each day so that does not help either.

Scott