Old June 27th 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default Using Polarizing Filter With Skylight Filter

Annika1980 wrote:
Eric Miller wrote:

Bret does have a point, after all, the lowest risk of damaging the polarizer
or the lens is to keep them in their boxes and in a safe deposit box
somewhere.

What he said! My point was don't be so paranoid. A good lens hood
will keep the dog from licking the lens. A skylight filter is pretty
much useless. You want to protect your lens, use a lens cap.

Having said that, I can see using a skylight filter if you were
shooting a NASCAR race with all the stuff blowing up off the track.
Also, a sandstorm or a hurricane might be other times that a filter
could save the glass from getting scratched, but I don't shoot much of
those either.

Some of us have to also worry about salt spray.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/62581512

At times the air is so full of salt spray that it only takes an instant
to give the lens a nice coating of salt.

Scott