Old March 3rd 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default How does one become a master printer?

G- Blank wrote:
In article . com,
"Scott W" wrote:

wrote:
Here's a question that I haven't seen asked on the internet: how does
one become a master printer? I'm not looking for a quick recipe, but I
want to know what it takes. Is it a matter of getting a good
background in photography at a school, landing a job in a lab, honing
your craft for years, and building a reputation? I'd really appreciate
it if the printers out there could share how they did it. How did you
become a master printer?

Not going to blast you but,has nothing to do with "Darkroom unless
your sitting in one to post the following,

The point is that working with a scanned negative will help give a feel
for the density range that the negative has. When I scan negative I
normally scan it as if it was a positive and then convert it myself to
a positive image. I really think going through this exercise would
help a lot of people make better optical prints, or at least shoot
better negatives. When you scan a negative (as a positive) and you see
that the left side of the histogram is pretty much missing it gives you
a pretty good idea that this is going to be a hard negative to print.

Scott

Scott