Old March 1st 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default How does one become a master printer?

wrote:
Here's a question that I haven't seen asked on the internet: how does
one become a master printer? I'm not looking for a quick recipe, but I
want to know what it takes. Is it a matter of getting a good
background in photography at a school, landing a job in a lab, honing
your craft for years, and building a reputation? I'd really appreciate
it if the printers out there could share how they did it. How did you
become a master printer?

Making many bad negatives...

You should not have to be a master printer. Simply make good negatives
and you'll have an easier time of it. Nobody cares how much or how
little work it takes, it's the results that count. If you can make a
great print right off the bat because you have a good negative, well,
that's just your secret.