Old February 1st 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default 4X5 film holders

Richard Knoppow wrote:

: "Jean-David Beyer" wrote in message
: news:dVmDf.4920$JO5.2881@trnddc04...
: Bob AZ wrote:
: Robert
:
: where I can buy this tape to repair these holders.
: Thanks.
:
: Gaffers tape.
:
: I have never had to replace the tape, but I have only been
: using 4x5 since
: about 1975. The original is much like the old "friction
: tape" that
: electricians used to use. Perhaps the reason I no longer
: see that kind of
: tape on the market is because electric codes probably do
: not permit splicing
: wires anymore. You should use it all in one run, and any
: connections seem to
: be made with wire nuts inside junction boxes.
:
: Stuff like duct tape are too thick and I suspect too stiff
: to use with
: pleasure; i.e., they would be annoyingly stiff.
:
: --
: .~. Jean-David Beyer Registered Linux User
: 85642.
: /V\ PGP-Key: 9A2FC99A Registered Machine
: 241939.
: /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey http://counter.li.org
: ^^-^^ 06:35:00 up 9 days, 22:02, 5 users, load average:
: 4.30, 4.18, 4.11

: The problem with "friction" tape, and many other tapes,
: is that the adhesive migrates and leaves a gummy border
: around the tape. Friction tape is NOT the familiar smooth
: plastic electrical tape. I have not seen actual friction
: tape for some time.
: Gaffer tape works OK for holders because the adhesive is
: specifically designed not to migrate. Note that Gaffer tape
: is NOT the same thing is duct tape although they are often
: confused. Gaffer tape is intended for temporary fastening of
: things on a movie set, it is designed to be relatively
: strong but to be removable with as litte damage to the
: surface its fastend to as possible. Duct tape is meant for
: wrapping air conditioning ducts and has a very sticky
: adhesive that spreads and is hard to remove.
: Probably the best solution to replacing the hinges on
: holders is to use a thin leatherette plastic and cement it
: with contact cement. The material is thin and smooth, both
: desirable for the application.

Friction tape isn't used by electricians to much anymore. In fact
the use of even electrical tape is frowned on by electrical inspectors.
To many "bad" practices were getting covered up with layers of tape!
Those that have their hearts set on friction tape can go to a sports
store and get the tape that gets used on hockey sticks. It's been many
years since I played hockey but I don't remember any trouble with the
stuff making a mess like electric tape and duck tape.

I've been using gaffers tape on the hinges. It sticks good and I have a
lot of the stuff and can replace it easily.

--