Old June 11th 14, 06:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

Default Giving photogs a bad name?

"PAS" wrote:
"Whisky-dave" wrote:
On Wednesday, 11 June 2014 16:00:40 UTC+1, George Kerby wrote:

Some people might and some will not. I know it is
unlikely, but in the event you might just run across
a mama moose with a brand new baby and you startle
her and she decides to charge your ass, tell me,
which would you rather have? A .22 long bolt action
or a AR-15?

Either would be a very poor decision.

Of course you have to also realize that while you may
have seen one moose, in a zoo, in your entire life, I've
seen dozens of cow moose with calves in the wild.

I've *never* felt any need to shoot in that
circumstance.

I'd rather have a car I could get in and drive away.
I'd aviod the first choice of shoot first, after all
there might be another' american behind a tree
stalking the moose and he might shoot me because he
thought I was shooting at him. Would you kill teh baby
moose too ?

Let's rephrase it. It's only you and the momma moose
with her baby. There's no car, you just hiked five
miles to the spot you're on. You won't outrun a
charging moose. You either get severely injured or
killed or you shoot. Do you want a .22 or an AR-15?

Why won't you outrun a moose? Sheesh, all you'd need to
do is *walk* away from it! (Or stand behind even a small
tree.)

But let say you do have to shoot. You don't want
something smaller than about 6.5mm caliber, just for
starters. To go it one more step though, the smallest I
would want is a 220gr 30-06, but not for the moose.
Once you shoot the moose you become bear bait...

BTW, shooting a moose after a 5 mile hike is really
really dumb. I realize lots of really really dumb
people do things like that with regularity. But packing
1200 pounds of moose 5 miles is in fact really really
dumb.

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)