Old December 6th 05, 06:17 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature

Default "Nature's Best" contest and film vs digital

Bill Hilton wrote:
Roger Clark writes ...

this morning at Bosque Del Apache, National Wildlife Refuge,
sunrise, the camera count was: 47 digital cameras, 4 film

You did an actual survey? Must have been a bit slow or did you get
Dick to do it Seriously, this 9-1 ratio is about what I see at
Denali or Katmai or Bosque as well.

Hi Bill,
I did it before sunrise; before good light. Yes, it was at the
crane pond.

This is what it was like at Bosque 10 days ago when I was standing at
(most likely) the same pond trying to shoot them in the cold ...
http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/bo...rane_T5606.jpg
http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/bo...rane_T5633.jpg

Very nice. Looks similar to what I got the last couple of days.
I got a nice fight between 2 sandhills yesterday morning. The only
problem was I had too much focal length (500+1.4; 500 alone would
have been perfect but no time to change).

too _much_ focal length... interesting.

i can't decide between nikon's 500mm and the 200-400mm zoom. which
would you prefer for general wildlife photography?