Old December 1st 05, 08:50 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature

Default "Nature's Best" contest and film vs digital

Gary wrote ...

I bought Nikon because all the lenses work on all the bodies, I can
upgrade bodies and keep my lenses, just too much tied up in Nikon
to change now. does Cannon still change mounts ?

Hi Gary,

Canon changed from FD to the EF (EOS body) mounts in, I think, 1987 and
hasn't changed anything since. The only semi-exception is a couple of
EF-S lenses that mount on certain digital cameras but not the rest of
their line. Otherwise all the lenses and accessories work fine on both
digital and film bodies.

Nikon has definitely done a better job with backward compatibility, but
I still see a number of high end pros switching from Nikon to Canon,
especially guys into digital or long telephotos, and I don't know any
big name nature photographers who switched from Canon to Nikon the past
10 years or so. Canon has a broader digital line with five dSLR
flavors, including three professional-class, and having IS in the 400
f/2.8, 500 f/4 and 600 f/4 lenses gives them a big advantage over
Nikon, which hasn't migrated the VR technology up to those focal
lengths yet. A few big names who've switched from Nikon to Canon in
recent years are Art Wolfe, Jim Brandenburg, Leonard Lee Rue, Joe and
Mary Ann McDonald, Tom Vezo (bird photographer), Erwin and Peggy Bauer,
Ralph Hopkins, Linde Waidhofer etc ...

I'm sure I will make the switch, not sure when

If I were shooting Nikon I'd get the D2x, which is expensive right now
but for wildlife it's a very nice camera with the high pixel count and
the built-in 1.5x crop due to the small sensor. As soon as they
migrate this sensor down to the $1,500 bodies they'll have a real
winner for the masses but right now the D2x is pretty pricey.

the biggest plus I think will be seeing what you just shot while your
still there

This is a big plus, also the ability to increase the ISO as needed and
the lower noise of high ISO digital compared to the grain in films 2
stops slower. I just had to print 32 images for a hospital display,
some film and some digital, and I firmly believe we get better prints
from 8 and 11 Mpixel digital than we do from scanned 35 mm film. The
biggest negative of digital is the higher inital cost but if you shoot
a lot you break even sooner or later since there are no film costs.

Bill