Old April 20th 21, 05:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
geoff

Default More Hollywood misrepresentation of the law and photogs

On 20/04/2021 5:47 am, Bill W wrote:
On Apr 19, 2021, Neil wrote
(in article ):

On 4/19/2021 9:39 AM, Bill W wrote:
On Apr 19, 2021, Neil wrote
(in article ):

On 4/19/2021 3:57 AM, RichA wrote:
The TV show, "The Rookie" shows cops arresting a photographer who was:
-On a public sidewalk.
-Shooting a picture of someone on a street.

The woman in question had been receiving notes from someone, not
threatening so one more reason they had no legal right to arrest anyone.

.
What's "legal" got to do with it?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/po...up-journalists
-co
vering-protest-force-them-on-the-ground-and-take-pictures-of-their-faces/ar
-BB
1fLgmf

What makes one a journalist? Can’t anyone just say he is? I would suspect
that at least some rioters have decided they are immune to arrest if they
just use a badge saying “journalist”. How many fake credentials are out
there? On top of that, I’m sure the authorities feel even the legit press
is firing up the crowds. So they’re ****ed.

What about any of that makes their actions legal?

I’m not taking sides here, I’m just saying that the police do not have to
treat as a journalist someone representing himself as a journalist, if he is
not really a journalist. And they do have a right to confirm his claims. The
whole issue of press credentials seems a bit murky in the first place. The
people running events or the police supposedly issue credentials, but how do
you issue credentials for a riot? Things aren’t always black and white.
This really is something I have always wondered about. Why can’t I just
carry an expensive camera, claim I’m a journalist, and get access I
wouldn’t normally get to places? And there is a website - one of the first
search hits - that just issues “press cards”. Pay some money, and
you’re in. They look official.

That pretty weak reasoning. Sounds like clutching at straws to justify
your rather tenuous claims.

geoff