Old January 19th 15, 03:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Finding restaurants

In article , Sandman
wrote:

A poster here has repeatedly whinged about not being able to find
good restaurants in the tourist corridor of the Orlando area.
Hardly surprising because 1) he was looking for good restaurants in
an area where simply being open is all it takes to attract
customers, and 2) "good" is a subjective judgment that is based
primarily on acquired taste.

Most adults feel that "good", in restaurant fare, is what they are
used to and have found to be "good" over time. A restaurant in a
country other than their own is not likely to serve the type of
dish, prepared in the way they are used to, and spiced the way they
are used to.

Not at all. I like testing different food. Unfortunately, Americans don't
season their food much at all, especially not in tourist-heavy areas, where
most tourists are Americans.

that's because not everyone likes spicy food, so restaurants in
tourist-heavy areas will tend to be bland.

again, you're picking the wrong restaurants.

Most food is super-greasy, tons of added sugar and way too sweet to eat.
But that's not really the biggest problem (and could be filed under the
'this is how we "spice" things in America). The biggest probem is the
usually really low aulity of meat, produce and things like that. It's like
you guys add syrup, sugar and salt to hide the crappy meat that's hidden
underneath somewhere.

not only are you piking the wrong restaurants, you're picking ****ty
ones.

I've never used Yelp or that type of thing for a recommendation.
It's ridiculous to do so. Yelp recommendations are often "salted"
by the restaurant.

Proof? No? Thought so.

it's well known.

you can generally tell the shill posts by reading them, but some are
well disguised.

Had the poster asked me for recommendation (fat chance!), I would
have suggested trying places that serve a cuisine totally different
from what he's used to...Sonny's for barbecue, a Cuban restaurant, a
Southern-style restaurant, or a Mexican restaurant (not Taco Bell!).
He may or may not like it, but be adventurous. Take your chances.
That's one of the interesting things about travel.

All the places we ate at were new to us, but alas; what most of them had in
common is the low standard meat/produce and the added sugar/salt/fish
fetish.

then you picked the wrong ones.

And Taco Bell most certainly served a "cuisine" totally different to what
we're used to!

you flew all the way to the usa and went to a taco bell?? seriously???
wtf is wrong with you?

taco bell is ****ty fast food. wtf did you expect?