Old October 8th 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Malcolm Smith

Default Nikon vs Canon and the whole dSLR thing

Rita

I have seen many of your posta re Canon Vs Nikon lenses and I know you are a
fan of Nikon however overall I believe the range and breadth of Canon lenses
to be better and this has been one of the primary reasons professional users
have been converting. Nikon do however make very good gear and possibly
have a number of lenses which outperform the Canon equivalents. A lot has
been said over the years claiming Zeiss are the best etc but it is my belief
that Canon have the best overall set of parameters for digital SLR lenses
(sharpness, focussing accuracy etc) - for example about five years ago Canon
found that they had edge aberations with some of their lenses with full
frame digital sensors (because of the angle light rays were hitting the
bumpy edge full frame sensor cells) and they have been progressively
replacing them with new designs - we don't know yet if Nikon will find the
same thing with the D3 or that other problems will emerge. I have ordered a
1Ds III to replace my aging 1Ds (which has done me very good service) and
have already started reviewing my lens range (most recently with a 85 f1.2
II). I think we need to see the results of production D3 and 1Ds III which
will be released about the same time to see if Nikon has blown Canon away -
technology is advancing so rapidly that cameras released six months apart
one could expect the later release to me more advanced

One thing is for sure the next few years will be very interesting for us
photographers - sorry for the rambling nature of this post.

Malcolm