Old October 8th 07, 02:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Malcolm Smith

Default Nikon vs Canon and the whole dSLR thing

Interesting observation re mix of Canon and Nikon. I am a professional
photographer and travel a lot so come across a wide range of professonal and
amateur photographers all over the world. My conclusion is that
professional photographers have been flocking from Nikon to Canon for most
if not all of the past ten years. Amateur photographers of long standing on
the other hand have mostly stuck with Nikon a name they have known or
trusted for many years. New amateur photographers using DSLR's seem more
likely to go Canon.

I changed fro Nikon to Canon in the mid 90's - Professionals for the last
ten years have credited Canon with better digital cameras (accuracy of
autofocus, accuracy of exposure, lowest noise and best range of lenses). It
will be interesting to see the real results of production models of the
Nikon D3 and Canon EOS1Ds III later this year (particularly WRT noise) -
Nikon may have caught up or passed Canon but it is too early to say. It is
certainly true that the DSLR technology is advancing very rapidly (too our
benefit).

The dark horse I believe is Sony with their Konica/Minolta technology and
their semiconductor (read sensor) technology - they may surprise us all.

Malcolm