Old October 8th 07, 12:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kinon O'Cann

Default Nikon vs Canon and the whole dSLR thing

"flambe" wrote in message
I just returned from 3 weeks in Europe and Africa.
An informal impression is that Nikon dSLRs significantly outnumbered Canon
dSLRs on those of us touristos schlepping these heavy beasties. That
really surprised me as my impression has been that Canon outsells Nikon.
Most Nikon dSLRs had the 18-200 VR attached and were being carried by
Europeans.
Although I saw one older Japanese gentleman with an 800mm howitzer hanging
from his neck attached to his Canon.
I envied the lens but not the neck pain.
Despite my lifetime investment in higher end cameras and glass I am
seriously thinking that on my next trek I am only going to carry an image
stabilized long zoom EVF type that records in raw.
Who is going to see the pictures that most of us take anyway apart from
friends and family? Personally and aesthetically satisfying results can be
had without having to schlep pounds and pounds of gear . . .
It may be time to find my old Ebay account number and empty the closet.

I recently (a few months ago) got a Panny FZ50 for the same reasons you
mention, but did not ditch the 5D and three lenses. I carry the panny when I
want to travel light, and I really like it. As you note, most of the time
it's friends and family, and those pics are viewed either on line in a
reduced size or in print. In each of those situations, the Panny is fine.
It's not a substitute for the Canon, but for a lot of situations, like when
I'm on the bicycle or motorcycle, or just want to travel light, it's the way
to go.