Old December 30th 05, 10:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default More on Canon Rebel XT noise at high ISO - 2 main new data points

Today G.T. commented courteously on the subject at hand

There is no such thing as a built-in Speedlite. It's a
frickin' pop-up flash. The Canon external flash units are
Speedlites.

I thought that's what the manual calls it. But, a better
question is, why the hell do you care, other than to make an
ass of yourself taking me on - again?

When I got home, I took another series of pictures with my
own camera, then loaded the whole mess onto all 3 of my
PCs. One of my PCs is quite old, still running Win 98,
with a 17" CRT with brightness and contrast cranked down
because my wife says the glare hurts her eyes. The 2nd one
is my old Win XP SP1 machine, also with a 17" CRT that I
know is showing images too dark. Finally, I put them on my
new Win XP SP2 box with a 21" Samsung LCD which I know is
properly calibrated for both brightness/contrast and RGB.
Please don't go off on the monitors, just yet, OK?

By this time of day (4:15PM EST), my fav store manager had
left for the holiday weekend, so I'll talk to him on
Monday. But, the bottom line is this, 2-fold:

1) /Both/ camera's, my "defective" one and his "working"
one showed the /same/ amount of noise at /all/ ISO from
100 to 1600 on /all/ 3 of my PCs. Naturally, no noise is
readily apparent until ISO 400 on both cameras.

2) Despite being careful on Programmed Auto in both flash
and available light, some of the pics I took with the
store's camera and pics I took in my house with my own,
are a stop or 2 underexposed.

Known issue on Digital Rebel and Rebel XTs. Use + EC.

What means "+ EC"? Don't know it, didn't get anything
Googling, can't find it in the manual (unless I've blind). I
know what EV is...

Now, you can all write me off as just another
nutbag/troll/incompetant/inexperienced/closed
minded/asshole if you like.

Yes, most here have.

Okey, Dokey by me. You don't mind if I think the same of you,
do you? Such as your smart ass crack at the top?

--
ATM, aka Jerry

"I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death
your right to say it." - Evelyn Beatrice Hall under the
pseudonym Stephen G. Tallentyre