Old December 30th 05, 09:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default More on Canon Rebel XT noise at high ISO - 2 main new data points

"All Things Mopar" wrote in message
I went to another camera store earlier this afternoon mainly
to look at the Canon 430 external flash, which I did buy.

While I was there, I talked to the manager, whom I know well
and trust, about the (apparent) noise I'm seeing with my XT.
Like most everyone else, he was incredulous, then strongly
suggested that my particular camera was defective, as his
experience was 100% the opposite.

Since I had my camera around my neck, I asked if I could try
one of his, that he knew to be working correctly. "Sure, have
at it!". So, I pumped off about 30 shots, some with the built-
in Speedlite

There is no such thing as a built-in Speedlite. It's a frickin' pop-up
flash. The Canon external flash units are Speedlites.

When I got home, I took another series of pictures with my own
camera, then loaded the whole mess onto all 3 of my PCs. One
of my PCs is quite old, still running Win 98, with a 17" CRT
with brightness and contrast cranked down because my wife says
the glare hurts her eyes. The 2nd one is my old Win XP SP1
machine, also with a 17" CRT that I know is showing images too
dark. Finally, I put them on my new Win XP SP2 box with a 21"
Samsung LCD which I know is properly calibrated for both
brightness/contrast and RGB. Please don't go off on the
monitors, just yet, OK?

By this time of day (4:15PM EST), my fav store manager had
left for the holiday weekend, so I'll talk to him on Monday.
But, the bottom line is this, 2-fold:

1) /Both/ camera's, my "defective" one and his "working" one
showed the /same/ amount of noise at /all/ ISO from 100 to
1600 on /all/ 3 of my PCs. Naturally, no noise is readily
apparent until ISO 400 on both cameras.

2) Despite being careful on Programmed Auto in both flash and
available light, some of the pics I took with the store's
camera and pics I took in my house with my own, are a stop or
2 underexposed.

Known issue on Digital Rebel and Rebel XTs. Use + EC.

Now, you can all write me off as just another
nutbag/troll/incompetant/inexperienced/closed minded/asshole
if you like.

Yes, most here have.

Greg