Old November 6th 05, 04:59 PM
Scott W

Default High resolution photos from a digital camera.

Richard H. wrote:
Scott W wrote:
The photo is of course stitched, it is a way to get a lot of pixels
using a digital camera. This photos does not even come close to what
some others have done, I have seen a 2.5 GP photo. But the high
resolution stitched photos that I have seen to date have been of pretty
static scenes, I wanted something with a bit of a dynamic feel to it,
something where people are doing things in the photo.

Interesting test - what did you use for the stitching? How much overlap
was there between the shots? Did you use a rigging to take the
photos, or was it handheld?

Buried on my list of to-dos, I'd like to experiment with very
large-scale stitching, with a goal in the 1000MP range (wall-sized
high-res print).

I expected to do a static scene, and probably make a rig to pan & scan
the ~400 images. This could even fit on one memory card, but flash
recording time will be the limiting factor for a live scene - capturing
a single scene could easily take 2 minutes. Using a bank of several
cameras might be an (expensive) idea, if the colors / exposures can be
balanced.

Your example is encouraging; maybe a live scene is even viable if the
images can be captured quickly enough. Perhaps by rapid-firing the live
areas and methodically collecting the static portions, then compiling
the result - what was your technique?.

Cheers,
Richard

I used PTGui for the stitching, greatly improved in the newest version.
The camera is set to manual focus and no instant review, this speeds
up the shooting a lot. I have a tripod head that rotates the camera
around the nodal point of the lens, this avoids parallax.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
The photo I posted was made from 3 rows and 12 columns, 36 photos all
together. I used a 8 MP Sony camera and ended up with a 95 MP photo,
288 MP - 95. Part of this is from down sampling to get a bit sharper
photos and part is from the overlap.

When shooting people it helps to have overlap to take care of the case
when someone moves, I can adjust what part of the photo comes from
which of the 36 photos, in this way I can clean up any problems from
people moving. I have been surprised at just how little problems there
tends to be shooting people.

PTGui now does a really go job of correcting for lighting changing from
photo to photo, it has some limits but it is pretty impressive.

I know there is one person who shoot a GP photo, he used 196 photos.
http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/gigapixel.htm

155 MP should be enough for a 3 x 4 foot print at 300 ppi, something
that I would kind of like to have.

Scott