Old October 11th 05, 07:08 PM
Nikon User

(DoN. Nichols) wrote:

1) Older Nikon cameras with AF lenses did *not* have focus motors in
the lens. Instead, there was a tiny "screwdriver" which projects
through a hole in the lens mount ring -- at about 7:00 when looking
at the body from the front.

This engages a "screw slot" in the back of the lens, and rotates
when the autofocus motor in the camera is attempting to change the
focus.

I noticed this on the N8008s.

However, both my "28-105mm f3.5-4.5 D" lens, and my 50mm f1.4 are of
the older design, and focused by the "screwdriver".

So, the pawl on the D70s also acts as the screwdriver to focus these
older lenses? I have four of them--three fixed-focus, and one zoom
(28-85 mm).

I'm giving the N8008s and the zoom lens to my daughter. That lens
duplicates the 18-70 MM lens I got with the D70s.

(That camera body has a three-position switch -- which selects "Off",
"Single" mode (focuses once at the half-press of the shutter
release), or "Continuous" mode (follows whatever is in the center of
the focus area as long as the shutter release is held half-
depressed).

Same thing on the N8008s.

I hope that this helps,

It did. Thanks. So, it really doesn't matter which switch I set to M
if I want to focus manually, right?