Old October 27th 04, 12:50 PM
David J Taylor

John Bean wrote:
[]
I think you are being a little unjust about the bogus use of
megapixel wrt the EVF, it's the norm in the business even though it's
wrong. When Minolta say the A1 EVF is 235k or the A2 is 922k they all
use the same (wrong) definition, but comparison is fair. The only
reason I see the A2 singled out for this criticism is that it is such
a huge number it causes people to think harder about what it means.
Minolta are not the only manufacturer who use this measure of EVF
resolution, check out a few.

John, you may be right that I am being unjust, but it was there on the
outside of the box shouting out at me as one of the "features" of the
camera. 900,000 pixel EVF! Not a claim made on the Nikon 5700 box, not
so on the Panasonic FZ20 box. Their claimed features were correct. Any
it made me think: "If they lie about this, what else are they lying about?
Can I trust this manufacturer?".

But it was primarily the poor recorded picture quality in JPEG mode that
stopped me buying the camera - this had been reported on the A1 and I had
foolishly thought that the manufacturer might have paid attention and
fixed the problem on the A2. No, they hadn't. Again, it said something
about the manufacturer.

Cheers,
David