Old October 27th 04, 12:25 PM
John Bean

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:06:08 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:

John Bean wrote:
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 09:50:18 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:
The stabilisation works really well, including on indoor wide-angle
shots. (One reason why I didn't buy a Minolta A2 earlier this year
was that on indoor shots the stabilisation indication changed from
"active" to "sorry, but I can't help". What use is that!).

The indicator changes below a certain shutter speed - 1/30th I think
- as a warning, but it doesn't imply the AS isn't still working, it
is. And very well, too. Being a user of both the Panasonic and
Minolta stabilization systems I'd say the A2 is a touch ahead at very
low shutter speeds but both are pretty good.

Thanks, John. Well, Minolta lost a sale partially because of that
indication, partially because of the tinny construction of the swivel LCD,
partially because of the poor image quality recorded in JPEG mode, and
partially through their dishonesty in describing the viewfinder as 0.9MP
(or whatever it was). VGA 0.9MP in my book - 0.3MP instead!

I think you are being a little unjust about the bogus use of megapixel wrt
the EVF, it's the norm in the business even though it's wrong. When Minolta
say the A1 EVF is 235k or the A2 is 922k they all use the same (wrong)
definition, but comparison is fair. The only reason I see the A2 singled out
for this criticism is that it is such a huge number it causes people to
think harder about what it means. Minolta are not the only manufacturer who
use this measure of EVF resolution, check out a few.

--
John Bean

I always keep a supply of stimulant handy in case I see a snake - which I
also keep handy (W. C. Fields)