Old October 27th 04, 10:50 AM
David J Taylor

Kilroy_Woz_ere wrote:
[]
Excellent advice, something to do this lunchtime but I'd still
appreciate feedback on both cameras, sales people sometimes have
other reasons for pushing specific cameras.

OK, but I can only comment on the FZ20. Had one for a few days and been
very pleased with it. Not interested in movies or sound so can't comment
on that. Being left eye dominant, I find the position of the EVF (right
on the left of the camera) means that my nose is resting against the LCD.
The LCD doesn't swivel (which I am used to), but I prefer to use an EVF
and I think for telephoto shots holding the camera against the face
provides better stability than at arm's length (of course, a tripod would
be better, but I don't carry one around).

The stabilisation works really well, including on indoor wide-angle shots.
(One reason why I didn't buy a Minolta A2 earlier this year was that on
indoor shots the stabilisation indication changed from "active" to "sorry,
but I can't help". What use is that!).

Yes, there is a little more noise in the images (even in daylight shots)
than on my Nikon 5700. This is to be expected as the Nikon is a 1/1.8"
sensor versus the 1/2.5" sensor in the Panasonic. Both are 5MP. You
don't see the noise until you look at the print at full magnification on
the screen. (Equivalent to an image 30" wide on the screen).

On a moon-shot there seemed to be a slight amount of red fringing at full
zoom, and I see that on the Panasonic forum:

at least one person has sent their camera back because of this. However,
this does not seem to be an issue at all in normal photography. From that
person's description it seem they may have a dud.

The forum may be worth a visit.

Cheers,
David