Old May 27th 09, 03:32 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
John Joseph

Default 5x7 film holder dimensions/dementia again

Peter wrote:
On May 17, 5:27 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
So now I'm taking the totally empirical approach. The hell with
"standards"[1].

Can anyone who has 5x7 holders out there measure them and give me the
dimensions? I'm looking for the following:

o Total length & width
o Exposure length & width
o Retaining tab location (distance from bottom of holder to top of
retaining rib)
o Distance between bottom of holder and bottom of exposure opening

I'm comparing these to the dimensions I found athttp://home.earthlink.net/~eahoo/page8/filmhold.html.

Many thanks for any who care to respond to this.

[1] Like they say, the nice thing about standards is that there are so
many to choose from!

I have a pot full of 5x7 and 13x18 holders. I have measured a few and
may measure more. I don't have real accurate scales. I can do, by
eye a little better than a 16th, I think.

Older style Linhof 13x18:
Retaining tab location - 7.625"
Thickness - 0.8"
Length - 9.8"
Width - 5.9"
Distance to exposure field - 0.6"
Exposure height - 6.88"
Exposure width - 4.8 or 4.9" depending; the opening for the slide is
wider than the rails for the film.

Fidelity Deluxe, plastic w/metal slide top 13x18:
Retaining tab location - 7.625"
Thickness - 0.5"
Length - 8.875"
Width - 5.9"
Distance to exposure field - 0.7"
Exposure height - 6.75"
Exposure width - 4.78 or 4.88" depending; the opening for the slide
is wider than the rails for the film.

Fidelity Deluxe, plastic w/metal slide top 5x7":
Retaining tab location - 7.625"
Thickness - 0.5"
Length - 8.875"
Width - 5.88"
Distance to exposure field - 0.68"
Exposure height - 6.75"
Exposure width - 4.87" only the opening for the slide as it holds
film.

Folmer Graflex, for Eastman wooden 5x7":
Retaining tab location - 7.69"
Thickness - 0.58"
Length - 8.44"
Width - 5.88"
Distance to exposure field - 0.7"
Exposure height - 6.75"
Exposure width - 4.92" only the opening for the slide as it holds
film.

I may try to measure some more, if I have time later.

That's awesome! I thank you from the bottom of my heart! Real information.