Old February 21st 04, 09:42 AM
Jukka-Pekka Suominen

Default Film Scanner

Claudia Engel wrote:

Since I cannot afford digital equipment (nor do I have any particular
desire to use it at the present time), I was curious about film
scanners. I've seen *nothing* so far that is capable of handling 4x5
film. Perhaps I've not looked well enough, but I wonder if anyone might
be able to recommend, based on experience, a film scanner that can
handle everything from 35mm through 4x5? What kinds of pricing am I
looking at here (that's the part I really don't want to think about...)

If you cannot afford digital equipment, you probably can't afford a
dedicated 4x5 film scanner either, but you might want to look at Epson's
3200 or the new 4870 (?) flatbed scanners that come with adapters for
scanning film in sizes from 35mm to 4x5 (actually I think the film
scanning area is 4x9 inches, there are just no adapters). The 3200 model
should be a fairly good deal these days now that the newer model has
been released. You might want to google for some user opinions on these,
though.

-JP