Old October 15th 09, 09:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

Default One more nail in the optical viewfinder coffin

David J Taylor wrote:
"Me" wrote in message
RichA wrote:
Courtesy of Epson. This is similar to the Panasonic unit in the G
cameras I think.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...ws_290520.html

When they say 1.44 million pixel, they probably mean 800x600 "real"
pixels x 3 (R&G&B).

Yes, I wanted clarification of that as well.

That's not enough for OVF replacement. Something about 3000x2000
"real" pixels would be good, but IMO that's going to be years away.

.. and even then, the EVF will use a lot more power than the optical
finder, and hence reduce battery life. I would be delighted with
smaller and lighter cameras, but still want a good viewfinder and
phase-detect auto-focus.

More pixels = more data to process per frame, which means more lag
and/or slower refresh rates. Moore's law probably applies, but we're
many iterations at 18 months per cycle before EVF is satisfactory. I
don't expect a good (enough for full OVF replacement) one to arrive
until about 2015 ot later. But in the meantime, EVF has some
advantages. I'd like a dslr with interchangeable prism so that you
could fit an EVF "prism" when needed, and in that mode, mirror would be
locked up. Either that, or perhaps someone could make a small EVF that
fits on the flash mount, and has a short cable that connects to the
camera's HDMI-out in LV mode. I don't find LV using rear LCD to be much
practical use with heavy dslr/lens combinations, except occasionally for
tripod use.