Old August 11th 15, 02:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default The D50 still works

On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 05:57:21 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
wrote:

On Sunday, 9 August 2015 23:00:10 UTC+1, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sun, 9 Aug 2015 11:24:30 -0400, Alan Browne

On 2015-08-07 20:07, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Fri, 7 Aug 2015 16:04:34 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

On Friday, 7 August 2015 18:13:52 UTC-4, Tony Cooper wrote:
I mentioned I keep an old Nikon D50 that I bought for cheap in
the trunk of my car as a back-up. Someone asked if the Florida
heat is a problem.

Returning from an errand earlier today I saw a pair of Sandhill
cranes in my yard. I pulled out the D50 and took a photo.

https://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Curre...08-07-3-X2.jpg

The heat doesn't seem to have bothered the camera. I added the
vignette only because the background is a little blah.

I am glad someone asked. The battery was low, so it's charging
now.

-- Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Plastic bodied cameras are ok with heat as long as they aren't in
direct sunlight. Then they heat up like ovens. However, worst
case, noise goes up a bit.

They are no worse in this respect than any other black-bodied
camera.

Only by chance!

Specific heat is generally given by mass. But since plastics are
generally less dense than metals one would have to compare by volume in
the context of metal v. plastic cameras. "dense" plastics have heat
density of around 1.7 j/gK wheras metals are closer to 1. Magnesium's
density is about 1.75 g cm^-3 whereas polycarb is about 1.2 g cm^-3.

In the end, close to a wash.

I'd expect, however, when taken out of sunlight for the metal camera to
cool quicker because of the better conductivity (heat) of metal.

It's germane to note than in home air exchangers the heat exchanger is
made of plastic for many reasons. (Economy in material and
manufacturing, very thin walls (conductivity), resistance to corrosion,
etc.)

We are not talking about transient heating but a situation where the
temperature of the camera comes into equilibrium. The temperature of
the camera will eventually be that of the inside of the car unless the
camera is in the sun, in which case solar absorbtion and later
reradiation will have to be taken into account. The color and the
suface finish is the primary factor as far as radiation is concerned.
It doesn't matter whether the camera is made of metal or plastic. It
will get at least as hot as the inside of the car.

Eric Stevens

Would there be other effects as that's why canon have the grey series of lens.

Marketing. To distinguish them from Nikon

Eric Stevens