Old August 31st 12, 01:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
R. Mark Clayton

Default Can't believe someone would say this with a straight face

"Wolfgang Weisselberg" wrote in message
Alan Browne wrote:
On 2012.08.26 16:19 , R. Mark Clayton wrote:

The dot pitch of my printer is 1440 and the "standard" resolution is
360
dpi. At any normal viewing distance this is imperceptible.

Not when it dithers over blocks of 64 or more.

What do you mean? If I print at 360 on the Epson 3800 (head is 1440)
the dithering for a print dot should be no more than 4x4 (16 dithered
dots). [not counting dot 'edge' to dot 'edge' dithering]. Why would it
dither to 64 blocks?

So how many colour steps and gray steps do you get at 16 dithered
dots?

-Wolfgang

4 dots each magenta, cyan, yellow and black = 64k

You might manage a little more if some of the colours (like cyan and yellow
can print over each other, but obviously anything + black = black.