Old December 3rd 07, 09:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr,rec.photo.misc
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

Default DSLR vs P&S a replay of Film vs Digital?

In rec.photo.digital.zlr Mr. Strat wrote:
In article , Wilba
wrote:

OK. You said "looked at" rather than something like used, studied, worked
with, or employed, which suggest to me that you haven't understood what they
can do for you.

Let's nitpick words now.

The main one being that a sensor responds very differently to highlights. I
can't trust my judgement to get that right like I could with reversal or
slide film. Goodonya if you can, but I remain sceptical. :-)

It's been my experience that amateurs can rarely grasp the depth of
understanding that professionals do.

Anyone who has studied the work of the best professionals, read their
writings, and listened to their interviews on radio and TV, knows that
all they need to know is how to do it, not necessarily why what they
do works. Some of them do indeed have a deep understanding, but most
of them don't, simply because they don't need it. That's why there's a
choice in the various professional qualifications a photographer can
acquire between those that give you the skills and those that give you
a depth of understanding.

--
Chris Malcolm DoD #205
[