Old December 2nd 09, 07:20 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Eric Miller

Default Nagging questions

Just some random, mostly resolution-related questions. I fully accept
that the questions themselves may be misguided, so feel free to interpret.

Chip size, noise and other stuff.

All other things being equal, will a larger sensor have more noise? I
ask this for two, interrelated reasons, the first of which is that I see
discussions of the end of the Megapixel wars for APS-C sensor due to the
loss of image quality with higher pixel pitch. The second is that I have
recently seen some pretty good images from a Canon G10 which has a much
higher pixel pitch albeit on a much smaller chip.

Actual resolution increase with higher pixel pitch.

It certainly seems that the G10 has much higher resolution than my 5D
(but certainly not better image quality) considering the pixel
pitch/sensor size. What actual resolution increase could I expect with
that kind of pixel pitch on an APS-C or FF/35mm sensor? Is there some
formula that describes the diminishing resolution gains due to added noise?

Size of pixel/photosite where resolution increase would not equal
additional pixels.

Is there a certain way in which noise is related to the size of the
individual photosite? Or is that dependent upon other factors that can
be addressed through better engineering/manufacture of the sensor?

Conversion of Bayer pattern only affect colors of image.

Finally, do the algorithms used to convert the output of a Bayer-type
sensor independently process luminance and color information? I guess
that would be, does the algorithm produce color and luminance
information independently of each other such that a grayscale value
could be produced for each pixel without using information collected at
more than one photosite?

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com