Old May 27th 06, 07:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Help to decide a lens or two.

wrote:
Hi all,
After months of reading reviews and such - I decided to buy a Canon
EOS350D/Digital Rebel XT body. As shown in dpreview, I found the
cropped-out image details in higher ISOs better compared to other
available alternatives.
Now, I do not have enough budget to buy L series lenses. I can spend
upto $400, to which I have found two options.
1. Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO -
have read lots of good review about this one.
2. Canon 18-55/3.5-5.6 EF-S USM EOS + Canon 55-200/4.5-5.6 EF II USM -
default option.
Can you please suggest which one is better? Or anything else? I am an
enthusiastic beginner who likes to carry the camera and take candid
street photographs, cityscapes and landscapes.

I used my 18-55 for quite awhile but the 55-200 was so soft and crappy
that I used it a couple of times and sold it. I'd check around for
reviews of the Tamron and if they don't sound worse than the Canons I'd
go with it. My main lens is the Tamron 24-135.

Greg
--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine