Old August 20th 14, 12:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Nikon d710?

On Tue, 19 Aug 2014 19:46:55 -0400, "J. Clarke"

says...

On 2014-08-19 02:43:35 +0000, PeterN said:

On 8/18/2014 8:08 PM, Savageduck wrote:

snip

You brought this particular Leica into this war zone, and initiated
another sub-thread skirmish. So it is your problem. What specifically
was it you pal liked about this Leica that he felt compelled to spend a
stupid amount of extra $$$.

That is his issue. When my wife wants a new refridgerater even though
our current one is fine, I really don't care. It makes her happy. No
reason to question a friend on how he spends his money.

However, there is no harm in asking; "Why on Earth woul you have paid ±
$700 for that Leica, when you could have got the same camera, with the
same specifications in the Panasonic for $300 less?"

He will not starve.

So what? It is a pretentious buy. If he had bought a pure Leica such as
the "X Vario", or even spring for an "M", I would be less critical.
Since he obviously has the financial resources to do so.
http://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-X/Leica-X-Vario
http://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-M/Leica-M-E

I don't know whether I would make that choice.

My bank balance and my pension have already made that choice for me.
Gadget envy not withstanding, I await a lottery win.

BTW I think the Panasonic is a fine camera.

It remains identical in specification and function to the Leica, ...or
is it the other way around?

People who buy the Leicasonics are like people who bought Cadillac
Cimarrons (a rebadged Chevy Cavalier with some different trim) and
deluded themselves that they were buying Cadillacs.

It's a smart move by Leica--the Leicasonics are good equipment and
getting more than double the price just by changing a few stickers is
brilliant marketing, but it shows just how gullible the status-conscious
can be.

I would still like to know what, if anything, is different about their
firmware.

Eric Stevens