Old November 19th 09, 04:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,aus.photo
Tony Cooper

Default [review] "The Adobe Photoshop CS4 Book for Digital Photographers" by Scott Kelby

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 13:47:54 +1000, Troy Piggins
wrote:

After a little deliberation, reading reviews, trawling a few
forums, I decided so splurge and buy a couple of books. I love
reading novels, but for some reason for technical information
I've always preferred online mailing lists, forums, and USENET
newsgroups.

Splashed out and bought CS4 Photoshop and Lightroom 2 recently,
and figured they might be worth having some books to accompany
them. Decided on "The Adobe Photoshop CS4 Book for Digital
Photographers" by Scott Kelby and "The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom
2 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers" by Martin Evening.

Man, Kelby has so many books out. I know he's "the PS go-to
author", but you have to wonder if reputation precedes and if
there's actually better PS books out there but they get drowned
out by Kelby overload...

Well, my fears have been realised.

I have the Kelby book on CS4 and I also have Kelby's book on
Lightroom2. I found both quite helpful. I like his style. I do
agree with some of your comments about not enough meat in some areas.

I had an older book on one of the earlier versions of Photoshop that
had the word "Bible" in the title. (I loaned it to someone, they
never returned it, and I didn't press to get it back) Great, huge,
thick book but godawful boring to work through. I got bogged down
with too much meat. At least Kelby's slick style lets you move
through the book.

I'm a hands-on learner. Kelby may skim over some areas, but that
works for me. He'll get me interested in something and I start
experimenting and working it out for myself.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida