Old February 18th 07, 10:15 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace
TJ

Default Screwed by Canon Rebate

measekite wrote:

TJ wrote:

I'm with you, Bev. I'm self-employed, and I don't get paid that kind
of money, either. I bought a second hard drive for my computer a
couple of years ago.

One knows the value of their data
CompUSA sold it to me on sale online for $80,

I bought a new one for $100.00

Goody for you. This one was new, too. Rebates aren't offered on used
merchandise.

as I remember. I was offered a deal whereby if I sent them my name and
address (so they knew where to send the check - understandable), a
copy of my receipt (to prove I bought the drive during the offer,
entirely understandable), and a UPC code off the box (to prove I
bought the model the deal was offered on, again understandable),
they'd send me a check for $50 - after a six-week delay for
processing. So I spent 2-3 minutes filling out a form with my name and
address, and another 5 minutes or less cutting the UPC code from the
box, and maybe another minute making a copy of my receipt. Another 5
minutes addressing a 1-cent envelope, stuffing it, and affixing a
37-cent stamp, and maybe another walking with it to my mailbox. 15
minutes of my leisure time and 38 cents-worth of materials for a $50
return. By my calculations, that works out to $198.48/hour - *for my
leisure time.* It cut into my TV-watching time a bit, but it was well
worth it, IMHO.

Not if your time is not worth anything. But you know so then you go
ahead and spend your make believe savings on refilling an ink cart.

I don't understand that statement. It *wasn't* worth $200 if my time
isn't worth anything, or the $200 wasn't well worth it if my time isn't
worth anything? It would seem to me that if I consider my time to be
worth nothing normally, $200/hour would be even *more* valuable to me.

If someone is paying you over $200/hour during your leisure time to
watch TV, more power to you. It explains a lot about your posts. It's
not happening with me, I can tell you that. I work hard for every dollar
I get. If I can get $50 for 15 minutes of little effort, and it's legal,
I'm gonna take advantage of it. Remember what I said:

I didn't *have* to take the deal. I could have paid the full sale
price and watched that 15 minutes of TV, while ranting on the
newsgroups about the unfairness of rebate "scams." But if you ask me,
I'd have been pretty stupid to do so.

TJ