Old February 18th 07, 05:47 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace
Michael Black

Default Screwed by Canon Rebate

"jeremy" ) writes:
"The Real Bev" wrote in message

Why would I go to CompUSA, say, just to tell the manager that I'm not
going
to buy the advertised special that brought me to the store just because it
offers a rebate which I should have known?

I've had minimal problems with rebates. I figure that the people who are
too dumb to fill in the forms properly are paying me to do it correctly --
always nice when stupidity carries its own punishment.

I would not go to a store if I knew they imposed rebates, but if I were in
one, and I declined a purchase because of a required rebate, I'd tell them
why.

Nobody imposes rebates on the consumer, nobody requires that you get
the rebate.

It's an optional thing, that you can decide to pursue if you want to
save some money.

And if you don't, then you get the item at the regular price.

You should be buying the item, if it was something you intended to buy,
and then make an issue of how you refuse to do the rebate. Thus you
have skipped the optional rebate process, yet made it clear that
you aren't one of the people who simply can't be bothered to do rebates.

It's kind of like spoiling a ballot in an election. Usually they don't
get counted, so you might as well stay home. But if you spoil the ballot,
at least it shows that you aren't too lazy to go and vote.

I choose not to go through the aggravation of sending in copies of receipts
and proofs-of-purchase, just to get back money that I should not have had to
part with in the first place. Perhaps you have more time to fool with that
nonsense. Not I.

But the money isn't your's until you do the rebate. They haven't offered
the item on sale, they have offered you the optional rebate. If you take
them up on it, then you get a lower price. If you don't, then you lose
that money you would have gotten in a rebate.

It's only by your rules that you think it's money you shouldn't have had
to part with in the first place. IN reality, it's money you would have
to part with, because the cost of the item would remain the same. It's
only by doing the optional rebate that you get a lower price.

Michael