Old January 11th 07, 12:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace,alt.home.repair
Bill

Default Screwed by Canon Rebate

Pop` wrote:

It's dumb to buy ANY product with a rebate attached if you expect to be able
to use it. Rebates are a marketing tactic that makes money on the confusing
directions and descriptions of hte "how to" and most people will just forget
about them rather than be enuogh of a pistol to make them pay.

It's dumb to make a broad generalization about all rebates being
bad. At minimum, rebates that you can submit online (like
Staples, some of CompUSA's and Rite Aid) are excellent and
almost error (and fool) proof. I'll bet even you'd get paid.

I refuse to buy anything that has a rebate and I'm quite vocal about it in
the stores. If they want to lower the price for me, let them do it with the
cash register.

Good for you. More left for the rest of us who can follow
instructions and wait a couple of months sometimes a little
longer) for a great deal. What do the cashiers say when you tell
them that you're not buying it because of the rebate? Do they
even care? I'd bet even most managers could care less.

Also note: You pay sales tax on the rebated money. You get the rebate,
but not the portion of sales tax that was paid; another marketing technique
to increase sales.

What does that have to do with sales tax?? Yes, rebates inflate
sales figures. They also inflate sales tax revenues. but that
is not a marketing technique.

It makes almost as much sense as no payment until 2008; yeah, those are
great deals!!

It's an excellent deal if you don't pay anything to get it.

Avoid rebates. Complain about them.

FWIW,
Pop`

FWIW? Not much.